Thursday, March 22, 2012

One-Shot Finch

Authors Note: This is from the scene where the rabid dog is coming down the street. I wrote it in Atticus' point of view and it's supposed to make you understand that he doesn't like using his gun. It's not fun for him or cool like Scout thought. It's just a tool

"Atticus! Atticus! There's a dog or sumthin comin! He's limpin' and looks crazed!"
I thought this time might have to come. Scout'll be asking me to teach her how to shoot her shotgun instead of Uncle Jack. I was lucky enough to be born with a valuable tool, I just don't want 'em to think I'm going to start paradin' around with my gun.
"I reckon you'll need your shotgun, " Calpurnia informed me. The time has come.
"Tell the neighbors; wouldn't want 'em seein' a sight like this." I say. It's been a long time since I've used my gun. I reckon that's a good thing; never needed it until now. I don't find pleasure in killing things.
"Atticus he's comin up the street! I can see 'em!" Jem screamed. One shot, that's all I need, that's all I want. Then I hear Scout whispering  something to Jem.
"See! I told you he can't do nuthin'. He's getting old Jem."
Now I have to do it. I may be gettin' old, but I will always be 'One-shot Finch'.
"Bang!" There's not as much satisfaction as I thought there'd be.  The dog is dead, doesn't have rabies but something just as bad. I feel bad for what I've done, but I had to protect the neighborhood. Better to kill that dog before it kills one of the neighbors. I go inside without a word, the kids have seen enough. I know they'll be asking me a bunch of questions but there's nothing to answer right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment